If the Montgomery County-Norristown Public library does not own a particular item, we may be able to borrow it from another library. This service is referred to as Interlibrary loan (ILL). The Montgomery County-Norristown Public Library participates in a countywide ILL system in accordance with the Pennsylvania Interlibrary Loan Code. The Library also obtains library materials directly from other libraries in Pennsylvania and throughout the United States.
ILL is available to all Montgomery County resident library users, regardless of whether the Montgomery County-Norristown Public Library is their home library. ILL is a privilege, not a right. Any patron who disregards the basic provisions of our policy may have his/her ILL borrowing privileges suspended at the discretion of the head librarian. Patrons should also be aware that ILL requests may take a substantial amount of time to be filled.
A variety of library materials may be requested through ILL; however, the following restrictions apply:
- No titles owned by the Montgomery County-Norristown Public Library except those missing or long overdue
- No bestsellers
The following types of materials may be difficult or impossible to borrow:
- Textbooks or course materials
- Core reference works
- Genealogy and local history materials
General Rules and Procedures
- If requesting ILL through our library, ILL materials must be requested, checked out, and returned to the Montgomery County-Norristown Public Library, one of its four branches, or one of its bookmobile stops.
- Patrons must have current library cards/borrowing privileges.
- Patrons are required to pay any charges assessed by the lending library.
- The lending policy of the Montgomery County- Norristown Public Library regarding overdue, damaged or lost materials also applies to ILL materials.
- ILL materials obtained outside the county may be renewed only at the discretion of the lending library. Please contact the ILL Department at least two weekdays in advance of the due date at 610-278-5100 X 121 to request a possible renewal of an ILL item.