Getting a Library Card
Montgomery County Residents
All Montgomery County residents may register at the main library or at any of our four branches or at the Bookmobile for a library card free of charge. There is no minimum age to obtain a borrower’s card but a parent or legal guardian must sign the registration form for a child under 18 years of age. Your signature on the Registration Form indicates your agreement to accept financial responsibility for all materials and associated fines.
If you would like to print out a registration form for a library card before visiting the library, follow the link for a printable library card application form. O aquí para solicitud de tarjeta de biblioteca imprimible en español.
You must register in person and will be asked to supply identification to verify that you live in Montgomery County. Acceptable forms of ID are:
- Driver’s License with current address
- Lease/Rental agreement
- Tax bill
- Utility bill with address – Phone, Gas, Electric or Water ( dated in the last three months)
- Checking Account Statement with Property Address
- Pennsylvania photo ID card with current address
If you do not have a photo ID you may be asked to provide two other ‘acceptable’ forms of ID. The library card is valid for life, but needs to be renewed every two years. Your card can be updated by a library staff member at any of the MCLINC libraries. Please note that some of our online services will not be available if your card has not been updated.
If you want to know how to get a driver’s license or photo ID card, follow the link for information on how to apply for a Pennsylvania Driver’s License or Photo Identification Card.
Non-Montgomery County Residents
If you do not live in Montgomery County but you do reside in Pennsylvania, with a library card from your local library, you may obtain limited borrowing privileges at the Montgomery County-Norristown Public Library, its four Branches and Bookmobiles. The application process is the same as described above.
Non Resident Fees
If you do not live in Pennsylvania, for an annual fee of $20.00, you may obtain limited borrowing privileges at the Montgomery County-Norristown Public Library, its four Branches and Bookmobiles. The application process is the same as described above.
The Montgomery County-Norristown Public Library makes corporate cards available to all organizations in Montgomery County. This type of card enables organization members to borrow library materials for use within their facilities.
Loan Periods & Policies
As long as an item is not on reserve, most items can be renewed twice. DVDs and Blu-ray discs can only be renewed once. Items that cannot be renewed include digital materials (eBooks and digital audio titles) and video games. Renewals can be done on-line, in person, or by phone at any of the library’s locations. When renewing over the phone, you must provide your library barcode number. You may also renew items from your home computer using your library account.
All library materials can be returned at the two book drops located outside at both entrances of the main library. Most library materials may also be returned to any public library in Montgomery County. Some exceptions may apply. For example, ILL materials borrowed via the Montgomery County-Norristown Public Library, its branches, or bookmobiles must be returned to one of those locations. Video games checked out from the Montgomery County-Norristown Public Library must be returned to the Montgomery County-Norristown Public Library.
Fines & Fees
|Adult Items||15 cents per day per item, maximum of $8.00|
|Children’s Items||10 cents per day per item, maximum of $6.00|
|Video Department||$2.00 per day per item, maximum of $30.00|
Lost and Damaged Materials
If an item is lost you will be charged the full retail price of the item. If the item is found and returned to the Montgomery County-Norristown Public Library, its branches, or bookmobiles within one month of the reported loss, payment for a lost item (minus any overdue fines) will be refunded.
Lost Library Card Fees
Report the lost card at once to the library as you will be responsible for materials taken out with the card until the card is reported lost or stolen.
Adult card replacement fee – $3.00
Juvenile card first replacement – $1.00 and thereafter $3.00
Manage Your Account
The MCLINC online catalog provides library users with the option to see personal account information within the library and from home. To access your account find the link on the upper right side of this webpage that says “Your Account- Click here to renew items, place holds and more”. Your library account allows you to:
- see what items you have out and when they are due
- see the status of any items you may have on reserve
- see if you owe any fines or fees
- renew your books
- maintain a reading list
To access your account you will need your Library card barcode or a Username and a password.
Passwords may be obtained in person by asking for a password at the Circulation Desk. You choose your own password. Passwords may be any combination of letters or numbers, but they must include from 4-10 characters with no spaces. The Library staff will not be able to see your password. You may change your password yourself by accessing your account from your home computer and clicking on “Create Password.” You may also change your password in person at the front desk of the library.
Reserves may be placed on all items that the library system owns. Exceptions include reference books, video games and some DVDs. You may reserve items by:
- Filling out a Reserve Request Card
- Phoning in a request to the library
- Placing a reserve electronically
To place reserves electronically you will need:
- Your Montgomery County –Norristown Public Library barcode (or user name)
- A Password
Click on On-Line Catalog to search for the item you want
- Type author, title or subject in the Quick Library Search box and click, “GO”.
- Click on “Find It!” to show library locations
- Change type of search by clicking on the pull-down arrow in the “search by” box
- Use the tabs on the blue Polaris graphic. Click on either “Keyword”, “Browse”, “Phrase”, or “Advanced”.
Placing Reserves from Home
- Once you have found the item you wish to reserve, click on “ Place Request”
- Type in your Library Barcode number (user name) and your Password
- Use the drop-down menu to select the library where you want to pick-up the reserve item
- Click on “Submit Request” –You should see “Request Placed Successfully”
You will be notified either by email or by automated telephone message when your library material is available for you to pick up. Please pick up your material within five days of receiving notification, otherwise it will be returned to the shelves or made available to the next patron who has reserved it.
Renewing Items from Home
All items out on your card may be renewed except:
- Any items on reserve
- Video Games
- Digital Materials (eBooks and digital audio books)
- Inter Library Loan (ILL) Materials – may be renewed only at the discretion of the lending library.
You will not be able to renew any items from home if you have items that are long overdue (more than 3 weeks) or there are any active claims on your account. If any of these apply, you will have to call or visit the Montgomery County–Norristown Public Library or one of its four branches to resolve the matter
To Renew From Home
- Access your account through the link on the upper right side of this webpage that says “Your account- Click here to renew items, place holds and more
- Click on “Items Out” link
- Check the box next to item(s) you wish to renew
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on “Renew Selected Items” or “Renew All Items”
- You will get a message if an item cannot be renewed and the reason why
- When finished, click on “Log Out”
If the Montgomery County-Norristown Public library does not own a particular item, we may be able to borrow it from another library. This service is referred to as Interlibrary loan (ILL). The Montgomery County-Norristown Public Library participates in a countywide ILL system in accordance with the Pennsylvania Interlibrary Loan Code. The Library also obtains library materials directly from other libraries in Pennsylvania and throughout the United States.
ILL is available to all Montgomery County resident library users, regardless of whether the Montgomery County-Norristown Public Library is their home library. ILL is a privilege, not a right. Any patron who disregards the basic provisions of our policy may have his/her ILL borrowing privileges suspended at the discretion of the head librarian. Patrons should also be aware that ILL requests may take a substantial amount of time to be filled.
A variety of library materials may be requested through ILL; however, the following restrictions apply:
- no titles owned by the Montgomery County–Norristown Public Library except those missing or long overdue
- no textbooks or course materials
- no bestsellers
- no core reference works
General Rules and Procedures
- ILL materials must be returned to the Montgomery County-Norristown Public Library, its branches, or bookmobiles.
- Patrons must have current library cards/borrowing privileges.
- Patrons are required to pay any charges assessed by the lending library.
- The lending policy of the Montgomery County- Norristown Public Library regarding overdue, damaged or lost materials also applies to ILL materials.
- ILL materials obtained outside the county may be renewed only at the discretion of the lending library. Please contact the ILL Department at least two weekdays in advance of the due date at 610-278-5100 X 121 to request a possible renewal of an ILL item.