Video Services Department Policies
Acceptable Internet Use Policy
Your library card opens the door to a world of information. Free access to the Internet, books, magazines, videos, DVDs, children’s programs, community events, job-hunting assistance and much, much more. The library card is free to all Montgomery County residents. However, getting a card from your township library will entitle you to get an Access Pennsylvania sticker on your card, and this will allow you to borrow materials at the County library and at most Pennsylvania public libraries.
Adults must present identification that includes both name and address; for example, a valid driver’s license with current address, lease agreement, tax bill, utility bill–Phone, Gas, Electric or Water/Sewer (dated in the last three months), or a Pennsylvania photo identification card with current address. For information on how to apply for a Pennsylvania Driver’s License or Photo Identification Card, please click here.
There are no age restrictions for obtaining a library card, but children under the age of 18 need a parent’s signature on the registration form.
If you would like to print out a registration form for a library card before visiting the library, click here (requires Adobe® Reader® to open, free download here)
Non-Resident of Montgomery County
Residents living outside Montgomery County must have a library card from their home library with an Access Pennsylvania sticker on it or the non-resident card can be obtained by paying $20.00 for one year.
Accessing Your Account Information From Home
- Click on Patron Account Log-In
- Enter your library barcode number and password. If you need to create a new password, click on “create password”
By entering your password you can:
- See what items are checked out
- what items are requested
- When they are due
- Renew books online
- Look up Fines and Fees
- Maintain Reading List
Report the lost card at once to your library, by phone, or in person. You are responsible for materials taken out with the card until the card is reported lost or stolen. A small fee of $3.00 is charged for a new card. $1.00 is charged for a child’s first replacement card and $3.00 thereafter.
|Rental Books||7 days/ $1.00|
|Audio Cassette||28 days|
|New Releases-DVD||2 nights/$1.00|
|Other DVD,VHS||7 days/$1.00|
There is a cap of 100 books that may be borrowed at one time, but some limits may apply to non-book materials.
Teachers may borrow up to 30 items for six weeks. Please ask for this service when you visit the Children’s Department.
Books can be renewed for another loan period of 28 days This can be done either by phone or online. Renewals will only be granted if the books are not overdue and if there are no holds by other patrons.
All library materials can be returned to the two book drops available outside each of library entrances. Library materials may also be returned at any Access PA participating library. Some exceptions to the material type may apply.
with a maximum of $ 8.00
with a maximum of $ 6.00
Three Photocopiers are available in the building for public use. The cost is 15 cents per page. Three copies are provided free of charge per day per person from non-circulating material.
All library materials which are not currently on the shelves may be reserved. Videos and DVDs cannot be reserved. The Interlibrary Loan department can borrow items not owned at our library. It will borrow books, photocopies of periodical articles, dissertations, and audiocassettes to name a few things generally available.
Request Books from Home
When you find what you want in the catalog, click on “place Request”. You will be asked to type in your library card barcode and password. You can also alter the library where you will pick up your request. Click on “ Submit Request” and that’s it. You will be notified when the item is available. We hold items for 5 days after notification.
Email Notification of Availability of Requested Items
You can be notified by email by submitting a form to the library. Click here for a printable form.
Audio-Visual Department Policies & Procedures
These policies apply to materials checked out at the Montgomery County-Norristown Public Library. The Materials borrowed through local libraries in the Montgomery County District may be subject to local library lending policies. Please ask your librarian to explain the policies at the time you borrow materials.
- Patrons MUST USE THEIR OWN physical library card when borrowing materials. You may borrow up to five (5) Videocassette/DVDs per card one (1) Video game per platform. You may borrow materials once per day.
- Rentals are $1.00 per Video/DVD/Video game displayed in plastic covers, or $1.00 per video not displayed in plastic covers. There is no rental fee for educational materials found grouped into subjects in the binders. In consideration for other patrons, please return your materials on time.
New releases are borrowed for a 2-night period only. Older titles and educational material are borrowed for a 1 week (7 day) period. Video games are borrowed for a 1 week (7day) period and cannot be renewed.
FINES FOR ALL A/V MATERIALS:
$2.00 per item for each day late.
$1.00 if the video is not rewound.
$2.00 for each lost or damaged case.
If materials are NOT returned or lost, a bill will be issued for the cost of the video or DVD or video game. Our materials are quite expensive, so returning them on time should be your absolute priority.
- Patrons MUST be 18 years of age or have a permission card signed by a parent or guardian. Parents and/or guardians do not have to be present to sign their children up for this borrowing privilege. Children will be allowed to take permission card home. It must be signed by a parent and returned along with an identifying document with the name of the signing parent. Children borrowing materials will either have privileges to select children’s, educational and rated E (everyone) video games or to borrow from the entire collection (including Rated-R movies and T(Teen) and M(Mature) video games.
- ALL A/V materials checked out at MC-NPL CAN be returned to ANY LIBRARY IN THE DISTICT or BOOKMOBILE, with the exception of Video games. They must be returned to MCNPL.A/V materials MAY also be returned to the outside book drop-off bins.
- Patrons may “re-rent” materials once for the same time as the initial loan period. No Renewals on Video Games. It can be done in person, telephone, or over the Internet. Rental fees will be assessed when material is returned.
- Use of videos for Public Performance or Group use is limited to videos with the prefix “MVP” or “MAC“.
- In compliance with copyright laws, the library circulates videos/DVD with the prefix “MV” for Home Use Only. It is not legal to show those materials in a public place (such as a community center, church, school or daycare center) without the express written consent and permission of the copyright owner.
- Any unauthorized duplication of materials is a violation of federal copyright laws and will result in permanent suspension of borrowing privileges and possible legal action. Use of materials for public viewing is prohibited, except in the case of school organizations and community centers licensed by the Federal Government to do so.
- Please note: The image from the videotape may waver and roll on the television screen. This is caused by an electronic signal imprinted on the tape to prevent unauthorized duplication. You can eliminate the waver and roll by adjusting the tracking dial on your VCR and or vertical hold on your television.
THE MONTGOMERY COUNTY-NORRISTOWN PUBLIC LIBRARY IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE TO A VCR, DVD PLAYER, OR TELEVISION AS A RESULT OF THEIR MATERIAL. OUR MATERIALS ARE INSPECTED FOR DAMAGE AND WEAR, AND ARE REPLACED OR WITHDRAWN FROM COLLECTION AS REQUIRED.
The time taken to read and understand these policies and procedures is sincerely appreciated by both the staff of the Audio-Visual department, and the staff of the Montgomery County~Norristown Public Library. If you have any questions regarding these policies and procedures, please do not hesitate to ask any member of the A/V staff.
We look forward to helping you satisfy your educational and entertainment needs!